Woman hospitalized after dog poos on her face while sleeping

S–t happens.

A British woman spent three days in the hospital after her daughter’s dog defecated in her mouth as she slept.

Amanda Gommo, 51, was taking an afternoon nap when pet chihuahua Belle became ill and suffered sudden diarrhea.

“I was having my afternoon nap with Belle, like I always do, when I suddenly felt something squirt in my mouth,” Gommo told South West News Service. “It was disgusting, and I was violently hurling for hours after. I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”

Gommo’s daughter took Belle to the vet where the pooch was diagnosed with a nasty stomach bug.

Later that day, Gommo herself began displaying some of the same symptoms as the sick pooch, and she quickly sought medical attention.

Amanda Gommo, 51, spent three days in the hospital with a gastrointestinal infection that was transferred to her by pet pooch Belle, who defecated in her mouth.
"It was disgusting, and I was violently hurling for hours after.  I just couldn't get the taste out of my mouth."
“It was disgusting, and I was violently hurling for hours after. I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.” Gommo snapped a selfie showing Belle’s accident all over her face.
Courtesy Amanda Gommo / SWNS

Paramedics prescribed the mom of three painkillers for her stomach cramps and instructed her to drink lots of water to flush out any potential infection.

However, her symptoms worsened over the next 48 hours, with the cramps eventually spreading all over her body.

“The cramps got worse and worse until I could feel them all over my body — even in my legs,” Gommo declared. “I was so dehydrated from being sick and having diarrhea that my kidneys had shriveled to half their size.”

The British woman phoned for an ambulance before she was rushed to a local hospital.

There, doctors diagnosed her with a gastrointestinal infection that had been passed through Belle’s feces into her mouth two days earlier.

Gommo was taking an afternoon nap when pet chihuahua Belle became ill and suffered sudden diarrhea.
Gommo was taking an afternoon nap when pet chihuahua Belle became ill and suffered sudden diarrhea.
Courtesy Amanda Gommo / SWNS
Two days after the accident, Gommo was rushed to hospital.  She was subsequently diagnosed with a gastrointestinal infection.
Two days after the accident, Gommo was rushed to hospital. She was subsequently diagnosed with a gastrointestinal infection.
Courtesy Amanda Gommo / SWNS

Gommo was kept under observation for three days while they rehydrated her with the electrolytes and glucose that she’d lost throughout the horrific ordeal.

“I was kept in hospital for three days until they’d flushed the infection out through a drip,” Gommo, who suffers from Chron’s disease, stated. “My discharge note said that I’d suffered a gastrointestinal infection caused by a dog defecating in my mouth — something doctors had never witnessed before.”

The mom was eventually discharged from the hospital, and says she is now “on the mend.”

Gommo has forgiven Belle for the diarrhea disaster — but the pooch may not be welcome in her bed for some time.
Gommo has forgiven Belle for the diarrhea disaster — but the pooch may not be welcome in her bed for some time.
Courtesy Amanda Gommo / SWNS

Meanwhile, pet pooch Belle has also recovered from her stomach bug — but she may not be welcome to sleep in Gommo’s bed anytime soon.

“I’ve forgiven Belle for her little accident and I still love her with all my heart,” Gommo stated. “But I will definitely be more mindful of what position we sleep in in the future!”

.

Leave a Comment